Registration is closed as of June 27 at 9:00am CDT.
The American Bryological and Lichenological Society (ABLS)
2018 Annual Meeting
University of Colorado Mountain Research Station (MRS), Nederland, Colorado
Sunday, August 12 - Thursday, August 16, 2018
The call for abstracts for a talk or poster at the 2018 ABLS meeting at MRS in Colorado can be found HERE. Abstracts are due by 1 June, 2018 and should be submitted to President-Elect Doug Ladd <firstname.lastname@example.org> - see call for abstracts.
Only ABLS members may register for the meeting (membership is cheap: $10 for students, $20 for regular; $25 for family).
ABLS members must log in (top right of this page) using their ABLS membership services site username and password to register for the meeting. Your meeting registration will automatically be added to your cart based on your membership type (regular or student). Housing and meal packages may be purchased separately and selections will appear on the right hand side of this page for all active members who are logged in.
If you are not an active member, please join ABLS HERE. Once you have purchased your membership, please return to this page and then login with your member credentials to access the meeting registration product selection module which will appear on the right hand side of this page for all active members.
IF YOU HAVE NOT YET CONTRIBUTED TO HELP SUPPORT TRAVEL AWARDS FOR STUDENT PRESENTERS AND YOU WISH TO DO THAT: Log in as a member, then select DONATE on the top menu bar. Follow the instructions to donate.
Early Bird Registration Prices (through June 13):
- ABLS Student Member - $40.00
- ABLS Regular Member - $125.00
- Additional Person - $125.00
Late Registration Prices (June 14 - July 27):
- ABLS Student Member - $90.00 (CLOSED)
- ABLS Regular Member - $175.00 (CLOSED)
- Additional Person - $175.00 (CLOSED)
Housing and Meal Plans at MRS (bed 4 nights with linens, plus full meals package):
- Lodge Bed + Meal Package, 1 Person: $268.00 (CLOSED)
- Lodge Bed + Meal Package, 2 Persons: $536.00 (SOLD OUT)
- 2 Bed Cabin + Meal Package, 1 Person: $295.00 (NO LONGER AVAILABLE)
- 2 Bed Cabin + Meal Package, 2 Persons: $590.00 (NO LONGER AVAILABLE)
- 1 Bed Cabin + Meal Package, 1 Person: $325.00 (SOLD OUT)
Partial Meal Package for registrants STAYING OFF SITE:
- 3 lunches, breaks, 3 dinners Aug 13-15, 1 Person: $145.00
- 3 lunches, breaks, 3 dinners Aug 13-15, 2 Persons: $290.00
- 3 lunches, breaks Aug 13-15, 1 dinner Aug 15, 1 Person: $85.00
- 3 lunches, breaks Aug 13-15, 1 dinner Aug 15, 2 Persons: $170.00
Meal Option for unregistered guest STAYING OFF SITE:
- 1 dinner, Aug 15 only, 1 unregistered person: $35.00
IMPORTANT MEETING INFORMATION:
- Meeting abstracts are due by 1 June 2018 and should be submitted by email to President-Elect Doug Ladd <email@example.com> – see the call for abstracts.
- Meeting presenters must be ABLS members, and must register for the meeting before being scheduled.
- ABLS student member presenters are eligible for travel awards.
- An ABLS member can register and pay MRS fees or separate meals fees for one accompanying person, who does not need to be a member.
- ABLS member priority (by 2018 payment date) is considered for MRS housing if serious conflicts arise.
- ABLS student members are eligible for a reduced registration fee; all others pay the regular registration fee.
- A student can have graduated in the spring 2018 semester, or can be first registering for the fall 2018 semester.
- A student should be prepared to support their status with an email from their major professor or advisor.
Email Susan Will-Wolf <firstname.lastname@example.org> about registration options and special needs not listed on this web site, including roommate name(s) or notes for lodge or 2-person cabin beds, dietary issues, other special needs (desire for transportation between Boulder and MRS for those flying and staying at MRS), etc. If you don’t name roommate(s) for a lodge room or 2-person cabin they will be assigned. Say whether you prefer a single-gender (which one?) lodge room or cabin, or say "no preference." For a lodge room, say if you are unwilling to occupy a top bunk.
- All individuals staying at MRS must pay for registration, housing, and the full meals package, regardless of their ABLS member status or meeting participation plans.
- For those flying and staying at MRS, transport from Boulder on Sunday August 12 and back to Boulder on Thursday August 16 will be provided by society members for a fee.
- Those flying into Denver should plan to take the public shuttle bus between Denver Airport and Boulder if they wish to use the above Boulder-MRS transfer option. Consider the time for that as you plan air travel.
ABLS 2018 MEETING AGENDA IN BRIEF: Aug 13-15, field trips mornings and presentations afternoons. All-members business meeting afternoon/evening of Wednesday August 15.
MRS buildings are at ~2905m, 9530ft elevation; the station property goes up to 3660m, 12000ft elevation. Lowlanders should bring altitude sickness medication and possibly spend a night in Boulder before coming to MRS for the meeting.
The MRS (also known as the Niwot Ridge Long Term Ecological Research [LTER] station), is adjacent to the Rocky Mountains Continental Divide and is a UNESCO International Biosphere Reserve for subalpine to tundra ecosystems with many cryptogams found nowhere else in the lower 48 states. See http://www.colorado.edu/mrs/general-info for more information. Bears have been seen in the vicinity.
WIFI is available in the lodge and laboratory buildings, not in the dining hall, the Megaron building where talks will be presented, or in cabins.
MRS HOUSING INFORMATION:
- Those staying at MRS must also purchase a full meals package as described below. For registration, MRS housing and meal costs are combined.
- No smoking allowed at MRS
- MRS housing is not child-friendly and camping is not allowed on MRS property. If you want to bring your entire family, plan to stay off-site. Cost/bed includes a bed for 4 nights August 12-15 plus linens including sheets, blanket, pillow, and towel.
- Lodge: 8 rooms, 2 bunk beds each = 4 beds/room, total 32 beds; heated, WIFI. 2 communal bathrooms with showers, labeled male or female.
- Cabin with 2 beds: 14 cabins, total 28 beds. Electricity, space heater, no plumbing, no WIFI.
- Cabin with 1 bed: 14 cabins, total 14 beds. Electricity, space heater, no plumbing, no WIFI.
- One separate communal bath house with showers for all cabins; 2 sections, labeled male or female. Pay laundry facilities in a third section.
- Participants use the bathroom/bath house section for the gender with which they identify most closely.
REMINDER - If you check the lodge or 2-person cabin housing option, email Susan Will-Wolf <email@example.com> naming desired roommate(s) or general preference.
ABLS must pay the full cost for all lodge rooms, so priority will be to fill all 32 of those beds. If necessary, Will-Wolf may email those who paid for a different housing option about relocating to a lodge bed. We will do our best to assign people to their preferred housing option mostly in the order in which payment was received and Will-Wolf received housing requests. (ABLS membership payment date will also be considered as MRS housing fills up).
MRS MEAL PACKAGE INFORMATION:
No personal refrigerators or cooking facilities available in lodge or cabins; neither camp stoves nor open fires allowed; anything edible must be stored in critter-proof containers – bears have been seen. MRS housing and meal costs are combined, the meal package includes:
- Dinner Sunday, Aug 12;
- 3 meals plus all-day coffee, tea service Aug 13-15;
- Breakfast, lunch on Thursday Aug 16.
*Vegetarian options will be available for all meals.
The August 15 dinner is declared our "banquet," with the all-members society business meeting either just before or just after dinner.
FOR THOSE STAYING OFF-SITE (MUST have your own daily transport to and from MRS):
- Email Susan Will-Wolf <firstname.lastname@example.org> for a list of off-site housing suggestions. Off-site housing reservations are the responsibility of each person.
- Camping is not allowed at MRS and staff discourage camping off-site. There are no nearby public campgrounds, the closest public camping is usually full that season, and camping is not allowed along roads.
- Anyone staying off-site but attending any meeting activities and/or using the MRS site at all MUST pay the registration fee.
- Partial meal packages are available for registered participants staying off-site.
- An unregistered guest staying off-site may pay for and attend only the August 15 official "banquet" dinner.
All requests for cancellations and refunds must be made in writing and emailed to email@example.com on or prior to July 27. There is a $50 processing fee for all cancellations.
We reserve the right to substitute speakers, or cancel or reschedule sessions because of low enrollment or other circumstances. If meeting must be cancelled in its entirety due to circumstances beyond our reasonable control of (including but not limited to, acts of God, war, terrorism, failure of transportation, weather, accidents, fires, electrical failures, strikes, labor disputes, postal delays, explosions, and government orders or regulations), ABLS may refund the appropriate registration fees to meeting registrants; no refunds shall be made for travel expenses related to the conference. Registrants who purchase non-refundable airline tickets do so at their own risk.
Refunds In Case of Travel VISA Problems
If an attendee is unable to attend the annual meeting due to his/her inability to acquire a travel visa, a partial refund (amount paid minus a $50 processing charge) may be granted. Individuals seeking a refund shall submit the request in writing to the ABLS Business Office prior to July 27.
Anyone with an emergency who must cancel after July 27; please email Doug Ladd <firstname.lastname@example.org> or Susan Will-Wolf <email@example.com> ASAP to let us know you will not attend. No refunds are guaranteed after July 27.